Leslyn's Lovely Life: The First of Many Projects

Sunday, January 8, 2012

The First of Many Projects

As some of you may know, DJ and I found this precious little rent house in May (5 minutes before I found out I was hired at Drew Central).



Well, it is a RENT house, which means no pets (insert the saddest face in the world right here), no remodeling (my lip is quivering), no painting (I'm sobbing uncontrollably), no nothing. Now, don't get me wrong, I couldn't be more thrilled that God blessed us with this house- we didn't want an apartment. However, it's very hard to decorate this house as it is. For example, most of our walls are light pink, and most of our carpet is this blue-ish green-ish color with lovely brown stains on them. We don't have light fixtures in our living room or either bedrooms. Needless to say, we're very limited with what we can do.

I finally got tired of not being "house proud". I suddenly felt this urge to decorate my home as much as possible, so it wouldn't feel like a rent house anymore. Here is my first project.


This is the "Before".



There's really not much we can do with those cabinets.... They only hold a few vases and light bulbs (they're not deep cabinets at all). We basically had this non-functional space that we had no desire to look at (I mean seriously, there is nothing pretty about this).





Our first step was to go to Target to buy some tension rods and curtains. Unfortunately, they didn't have any curtains that were long enough to go from the ceiling to the floor. So we just settled for these for now.





Yes, it already looks so much better. But seriously, the color of these curtains resembles oatmeal (there's really nothing else that will look decent with that carpet... I mean, let's keep it real). I had to add something to the curtains. Enter one of the most wonderful purchases I have made since our wedding.





My friends, let me introduce you to our panels. From the container store. And a set of 4 only cost $9.99!!!! I was beyond thrilled when they were shipped to our house. I ordered two sets of them, originally thinking that they would live in our bedroom. But I had a better idea... I decided to sew them to our curtains. Just to make them less oatmeal-y.








So this is my first before and after project. I'm just a little excited about how this turned out. All together, it cost us about $40. That definitely beats buying drywall to cover the nastiness that we had to endure for the first 5 months of our marriage.
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

1 comment:

Elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Great idea, way to work within your limits. The rooms looks a lot better.