Leslyn's Lovely Life: Creamy Chicken & Dumplings

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Creamy Chicken & Dumplings

I love chicken and dumplings. I have since I was a little girl. My great-grandmother made them for me every time we visited her, and I would always gets seconds (and sometimes third helpings). I learned how to make chicken and dumplings last year, and I've tweaked the recipe so it would resemble my Mamaw's.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cut up fryer chicken
3 c. all purpose flour (W&H brand is the best)
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 t. salt
salt and pepper to taste
heavy whipping cream (amount varies based on your preference)

1. Boil the pieces of chicken in water.
2. Combine the flour, milk and salt until the flour is completely mixed in.
3. Roll out the ball of dough on a floured surface until it's very thin, and cut it into small pieces.
4. Once the chicken is cooked, remove the meat and put it in a bowl. Let it cool a bit, and then shred into small pieces.
5. While you're waiting for the chicken to cool, drop the dough strips into the boiling broth. Let cook for about 15 minutes.
6. Add chicken back to pot, season with salt and plenty of pepper. IF you want to make it creamy (which is what I did), add a splash of heavy cream.




It is DELICIOUS! It tastes like my Mamaw's... and kind of like Cracker Barrel's. :)

Enjoy!

xoxo
Les
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

No comments: