Leslyn's Lovely Life: A Different Friday

Friday, May 25, 2012

A Different Friday

Today's post is going to be a little bit different... Yesterday, I lost probably one of the most hilarious, wonderful people in the world, my husband's grandma, JoJo.

I haven't really had to deal with death. I lost a friend when I was in high school, but we weren't THAT close... JoJo has been my #1 fan since the day we met. She swore up and down that she just KNEW that I was going to marry her grandson from the moment she laid eyes on me at Cracker Barrel. She loved to hear all about drama (whether she knew the people involved or not), always wanted to go to the movies, and was known for leaving the movie theatre with popcorn all over her shirt. So instead of high fiving about Friday (because quite frankly, this hasn't been a great week), I am high fiving for JoJo, and listing my 5 favorite things about her.

1. We loved listening to music. DJ & I have spent hours putting together playlists for JoJo. Once we gave her the CD, we had to hop in the car and drive all around Southeast Arkansas so she could hear every song. Her favorite song of all time was "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan. That song was on every mix we made (we felt that it wouldn't be acceptable otherwise). She also loved Elvis, so we had to make sure to include him too.

2. She loved her grandkids. One year, she asked DJ what he wanted for his birthday. His response was: "I want to fly in an airplane for the first time." She flew him to Dallas that year, and they had a very memorable weekend. That's the kind of grandma I want to be someday.

3. Every person who had ever crossed paths with JoJo didn't have a bad thing to say about her. She was probably one of the most loved people in the world.

4. We would go to the movies all the time, and we would have a blast! She was probably the best movie critic of all time. If there ever was a time that I went to a movie she didn't recommend, I would walk out of the theatre saying "I should have listened to JoJo."

5. Her faith in God was such a beautiful thing. I don't think there was a day that we were together where she didn't talk about going to heaven, ESPECIALLY after Doozer (her sweet husband) passed away. She loved the Lord (and kind of had a mild obsession with the Jews, which we always found funny?) with all of her heart. She was an encourager, a servant, and an incredible woman of God.

This is probably one of my favorite pictures of her. It was taken at our rehearsal dinner, and she had to just "strike a pose" (which was typical of her).



Her dream of going to heaven finally came true- and I couldn't be happier for her!

xoxo
Les

Photobucket
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

5 comments:

Brook said...

So sorry for your loss. She was clearly a remarkable woman and you are blessed with great memories.

tara said...

I am so sorry for your loss, girl! Hugs!!

Brandy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. That's hard. I think whenever we lose people, Heaven becomes that more real to us.

Kate - Classy Living said...

What a beautiful post! You were blessed to know such a wonderful lady, and I'm so sorry to hear that she's gone.

Our House Story said...

Your post is so touching!! I am so sorry for your loss, but I can tell you had an amazing relationship with her and you will forever cherish those memories! Thank you for sharing JoJo with us through your post!