Leslyn's Lovely Life: The beginning of the home tour

Monday, June 18, 2012

The beginning of the home tour

Happy Monday, everybody!

As my faithful readers know, the hubs and I just moved a few weeks ago. We downsized quite a bit and moved into an apartment. We were a bit concerned that all of our stuff wasn't going to fit. But somehow, it did.

This so not my nature, but I saved my closet for last. For those of you who have seen my closet, it is MY space that must be organized. However, it became the junk closet until last Thursday. Here's the proof.




It's shameful, really. And so unlike me. I don't know how I functioned for 2 weeks.

My first step was to throw all of the non hanging items onto the bed. That way, I could just look at the clothes.

Then, I looked at what was in my closet. I had some items that I have been keeping since high school, I had items that didn't fit me, that weren't seasonal, etc. So I bit the bullet, and took over half of the items out of my closet. Y'all, it wasn't easy. Thankfully, we have SO MANY CLOSETS in our new apartment. Those clothes are hanging in there for now. If I don't reach for those clothes this summer, I'm getting rid of them. I promise.

Then, I sorted through ALL of the other stuff. Art supplies, scarves, shoes, purses, belts, etc. I had to purchase a few things to make my closet more "pretty". Here's the (almost) finished product! 


As you can see, dresses/maxi skirts are on the right, I have a bench for when I put my shoes on, sleeveless tops and my skirts are on top, short sleeved tops and scarves on the bottom.


My art supplies are in the container on the left, writing utensils in the middle container, and belts are in the basket. It's perfect. 


I put the shoes that I most often wear in this organizer. It keeps my shoes off the floor! 


The hubs gave me this jewelry tree a few years ago. I wanted to put it in my closet, so I bought this pretty tray from target (oh, and the AWESOME journal is from there too). Here's the journal cover:


Inspiring, isn't it? :)



I found these little thingies (don't know what they're called) in my desk drawer at work. My husband explained to me that teachers would put chalk in each little hook, and it would help them draw a music staff! Well obviously, I thought they would be better as jewelry hangers. 


Okay so first of all, I had to crop this picture a little bit because I accidentally had my camera on the automatic setting. I kid you not, as I was adjusting my camera, the nifty hat hanger (that is its' purpose) came crashing down. So I am going to have to come up with a better hanging method. Anyhow, here's the story behind it: one of my best friend's grandparents recently sold their home, which had a big barn in the back. My friend's family took a TON of wood home that they could use for projects, and they let me have a piece! I wanted to make it a little more trendy, so attempted to paint chevron stripes on there. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it worked. Also, I collected some cool knobs over time, and I finally got to use them! 

The only things that I still have to do are:
1. Find a way to hang up the hat hanger (any suggestions would be appreciated)
2. Find a good way to store my purses on the top shelf of my closet (again, suggestions, please!)







IHeart Organizing
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

6 comments:

Alyssa said...

Oh my gosh, girl! You need to come do my closet hahah! Love it and love the journal!

Molly said...

My closet was so nicely organized when we first moved in. However, since we got the puppy we had to shove everything in there so she won't chew. It has gotten totally out of control. This has inspired me to make some progress.

Valeri said...

Your closet looks fab! For my purses I use Grundtal S-hooks from Ikea to hang them on the rack. For $2.99 for a 5-pack, you can't beat it! (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70011397/)

Also, have you tried command strips to keep the hat rack up? I use those for everything!

Valeri
suburbanlivingblog.blogspot.com

Dani said...

So....I definitely bought that journal yesterday, on a whim. It just kind of spoke to me I guess. :) Beautiful closet!

Monica Shanks said...

Such cute stuff, girl! To hang the wooden hat rack, you could get some metal saw-back picture hangers from a hardware store for pretty cheap... Then it'd hang just like a store bought item. :) Depending on how big and heavy it is, you could use one in the center or two (one near either end). Love the chevron stripe on the natural wood!!

XO Mon

Breanna said...

Love your new beautiful closet! If hanging your purses / bags is an option, you can always use shower curtain hooks-- they work perfectly! :)