Leslyn's Lovely Life: The Dream Job

Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Dream Job



Growing up isn't as fun as people say it is.

I remember being at OBU, desperately wanting to "be done" with college. I mean, having open dorm rules is super lame, especially when that means that you and your boyfriend can only watch movies in the student center on the weekends (as I said, super lame). However, while I was wishing my college life away, I didn't think about the stresses that are involved with having a career.

As many of you know, I taught in the public school last year. I L-O-V-E-D seeing my students every day, and I loved being a difference-maker. However, the work environment was a nightmare. To the point where I got so sick, and I had to leave at the end of the school year. So I decided to follow my dream of getting an even higher degree, and I enrolled in graduate school. I've learned SO much, grown in every way imaginable, and can't believe that my time as a grad student is coming to an end.

Last October, I found out that my dream job was open, and that the institution was hiring. I got my hopes up. Big time. Everything seemed almost too perfect- the timing of the search to fill the position, the timing of me finishing my degree. I told people to start praying that it would happen for me. I sent in my application, and the waiting game began.

A week ago today, I found out that they didn't want me. I was devastated. I fought tears. THIS WAS MY DREAM JOB.

and i didn't get it.

For some strange reason, once the reality of not getting the job set it, I felt a strange peace, something I was most certainly not expecting, considering the circumstances. It's like I could hear God saying "Just wait until you see what I have in store for you. It's better than what you could have ever imagined."

So now, I am back at square one. I have absolutely no idea where I am going to work next year. As of right now, the thought of teaching again scares me, simply because I don't want to have the same experience that I had last year again. I would be foolish to put myself in that situation. I literally have no idea where I'll be in a few months.

Here's to the unknown, and trusting that God (as always) knows best.
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

7 comments:

Allie Brooks said...

I am so sorry about your dream job. This past summer I really struggled with accepting that God's plans were much bigger than mine. Blake graduated in May and the same situation happened. A job opened up that seemed too good to be true. Everything lined up and it was like the job was made for him... and then he didn't get it. We were crushed. About a month later God opened up even bigger doors for us and Blake got a job that is seriously better than I could have ever hoped. I know how hard it is, because we have been there. Praying for peace!!! I just know God is about to open a wonderful opportunity to someone as deserving as you!

Deborah West said...

Oh friend, I'm sorry for your pain, but you are exactly right. God has something extraordinary in store for your crazy talented self!

Rachel said...

Amen on growing up not being all that it's cracked up to me. The job search process isn't a fun one, for sure, and that must be heart-breaking that you weren't able to get the job you wanted. I feel like I'm also in an "unknown" stage right now. I know what I'm doing at the moment, but a year from now, I have no idea where I'll be!

Marianna Dunn said...

growing up is definitely a tough thing. and I'm so sorry to hear about not getting the job - I know that's hard. but God has a different dream for you and He will make it possible! good luck! :)

tara said...

:( This just means there is something better out there for you!

ShaunaQ said...

That's sucks getting your hopes up to hear a no! But it's true, God has other plans!

Following you from the GFC Collective!

www.MommaCandy.com

naninana noni said...

beautiful post! sometimes things happen totally different then we thought but God is making it better then our thoughts:)I can remind myself being in a quite similar situation! Stopping by and from GFC Collective,new follower, happy to have found your space, greetings from far away Germany, noni@http://ohiloveyoumydear.blogspot.de/