Leslyn's Lovely Life: Where it all began...

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Where it all began...

I'm going to take a break from the 10 random things posts, simply because I'm experiencing writer's block. Instead, I am going to tell you the sweet, sappy story about me and the hubs. Plus, I've had this empty "Love Story" tab at the top of my blog for a LONG time now, so it's about time that I fix that.

So here we go.

1994.

You're probably thinking to yourself "What the whaaa? 1994?!"

Yes. It all starts there.

A bouncy, chipper 6 year old little girl is about to watch her oldest cousin perform. It's this little thing that all Ouachitonians love. It's called Tiger Tunes.

Every homecoming, alumni gather and watch this incredible performance where the fraternities and sororities social clubs (gotta love the Baptist schools) compete against each other. It gets pretty intense. Just YouTube it, and you'll be blown away.

Anyways, there's a group of hosts and hostesses that performs between every act. Basically, if you become a host and hostess, you're a celebrity the week you find out you made it (February), and then you're a celebrity the week of Tiger Tunes (October). In between those two events, people don't really care. So my cousin was a Host (or as we affectionately call them, HoHo's. Not the most Baptist name, but whatever).

That fateful evening, I was watching the HoHo's sing Bonnie Raitt, do some weird hula limbo thing, motorcycles came out on stage, and I knew.

I was going to be a HoHo someday.

We videotaped it, and I watched Tiger Tunes on a daily basis for 2 years.

I'm not exaggerating.

My brother and I even memorized the HoHo's dance moves, and performed in front of the TV.

Yup.

We were those kids.

Fast forward 12 years.

I go to Belmont University... The place that doesn't have Tiger Tunes. And there was this little part of me that was sad about it. After all, it was my DREAM to be a HoHo. But I told myself I would be able to perform.

In Nashville...

Yeah right. Unless you have some kind of deal, nobody wants to hear you.

Anyways, I left Belmont. Begrudgingly. But then I transferred to OBU in 2008.

To Be Continued....
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

2 comments:

Sally said...

Oh, the Baptists... you would probably appreciate my high school cheerleading outfit that i posted today!

Have a great day!

Brittney said...

I LOVE that Tiger Tunes is a part of your love story. And yay for HoHos! :) One of the most fun experiences of my time at OBU.