Leslyn's Lovely Life: Decorating our home

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Decorating our home

As many of you know, we moved into a beautiful house in March. It's been my dream home since last July, and the Lord just blew the doors open for us to buy it. It seriously is the most amazing house, and I love every minute that I get to spend in it. Cleaning is something I actually enjoy now, simply because I feel proud of our home (sorry, little apartment, you just weren't cutting it for me).

Speaking of the little apartment (and the rent house... remember that? The one with pink walls and green carpet? That was fun... *shudder*), it was half the size of our house. While the rent house was bigger than the apartment, it had the strangest layout. So when we moved here, we suddenly had 4 bedrooms instead of 2, and a massive living room that needed more furniture. 

This is my moment where I vent for a second... I promise it won't be that bad.

It's discouraging for me to see blogs of homes that are fully decorated. They claim that it cost them just $200 to COMPLETELY redecorate their living rooms. Uh, last time I checked, the paint alone is going to cost that much, if you're lucky. While we have a neutral color in every room of our house, it's a very dark neutral. And I'm not loving it. It will cost us well over a thousand dollars to repaint our house- and that's if we just do it ourselves. It will take forever. 

So here's my promise:

I'm going to post pictures of the house very, very soon. I'll show you pictures of what it looks like right now... ya know, without stuff hanging on the walls, no furniture in one room, everything. Then I'll show you the (extremely, painstakingly slow) transformation. Be prepared for this to last several years. But hey, I guess blogging is all about the process, right? 

xoxo
Les 


 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

6 comments:

Leanne @ Simply Beautiful said...

Girl, I totally feel you! We bought our home in OCTOBER and I'm still worn out/discouraged by how long it is taking us to decorate and furnish it to our liking. This is literally the reason why I have not put up much info/pics about our home because I'm one of those OCD people who wants to have it all done before I show it off. Maybe I should take your mantra and post the process of it all on the blog. And you are so right about having more space...A room for $200? Please! A new couch or chair alone to fill all the new empty space would cost that. Don't worry, you're not alone and we can be in this together! :)

cal+claire said...

Just remember that you're supposed to take a long time on your new house. You don't have to have furniture in every room or art on every wall. We have been in our house a year and we still don't have every wall painted a color we like, furniture we love in every space, and there are lots of empty walls. But I don't want to spend money on something I don't love, so patiently we wait.

Lisa said...

Pace yourself and look for sales. I think that is why a lot of those room redos sound too good to be true, they've waited and watched for sales....IDK. But, I do look forward to see your dream home finished.

Elyse said...

Umm I am in the EXACT same boat as you. We just moved from a 1 BR apartment to a 4BR house. It was painted completely neutral and blah. I decided to paint two rooms to start off with, and I have plans to paint one other BR which will be my craft room. I have a ton of old yucky furniture from people and few markets that I have to redo before it can even enter this house, and I am wondering if it will ever get done. We have nothing on the walls, but we do finally have a couch in the living room. I STILL have not posted any pictures of our house and we have lived here for 3 months now! So exhausting!

burun estetigi said...

Create a blog for sharing useful information all over the world and if you want to start a free blog than u blog is the best option for you.
burun estetigi

Molly Kay said...

I feel ya!! Logan and I have been painting ours with the help of my parents. It's a long process and is still expensive.