Leslyn's Lovely Life: 2014 Goals

Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 Goals

Originally, I was going to do a 14 in '14 list. But then I realized that it's going to get really out of control once we get to 2047. So I'm putting an end to that right now. Also, I think that if I focus on a smaller number of things, I will be more likely to succeed in achieving ALL of my goals.

Let me also say that I've realized that some of the goals that I have made for myself in years past are kind of shallow... Sure, it's good to be at a healthy weight. But I realized that my desire to be a size 2  wasn't for health's sake- I wanted it because society expects me to look a certain way. I guess little Baby J has changed me- I don't want to be super skinny. I want to be HEALTHY. For my little guy/girl. Sure, making healthier choices will probably help me in the "figure" department. But more than anything, I want to have energy to play with my little one. Hopefully, that little statement will help you think about your intentions of wanting to lose x lbs this year (since weight loss is the #1 goal of all time). Okay I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.

Here we go (these are not in order of importance)!

Leslyn's Goals for 2014

1. Implement an organization system for my home and stick with it. There are a lot of areas of my life that have a lot of order. Then there's my house. It's not like we live in a pile of trash or anything, but I want my home to be ready for company 24/7. If I could be just a little bit more disciplined and do things like put dishes away immediately, pick up something when I'm done using it, etc., that would make a huge difference.

2. Cut back on processed foods. I'll just be honest with you guys- the majority of my diet has consisted of processed foods. I don't know if I can cut back cold turkey (cheese, y'all.)... But I love how I feel when I eat more whole, unprocessed foods. Plus, I'm 100% sure that Baby J needs more vitamins, etc. So this year, I'm going in a much more organic/natural direction.

3. Plan out meals every week. This will help me with a lot of things. We will eat out less (you guys... It's embarrassing how much we ate out this year), save money, this will help me with goal #2, less trips to the grocery store, and there are plenty of other benefits that I'm not listing. I've done this off and on throughout our marriage, but now, I'm committing to it.

4. Be smart when designing/putting together the baby room. This might seem like a strange goal. But let's just talk about the minor heart attacks I've had when researching baby furniture at my favorite stores. $1,000 for a crib, Pottery Barn? REALLY?!?! Yeah, let me just drop a grand on something that's going to be pooped, peed, and thrown up on.

Sorry, I'm over my little rant. Anyways, something that we've been able to do for the rest of our house is to pull off the Pottery Barn look with Wal-Mart/Target prices. I'm hoping to do that again in Baby's room. I've found some design inspiration already, and I CAN'T WAIT to find out it's a boy or a girl so we can get started. Okay now I'm rambling and I need to get back on track.

5. Learn how to redesign my blog. I've realized that I am a control freak, and I want my blog to look a certain way, but I can't quite get it there with the skill set that I have. So this year, I want to learn how to redesign my blog. It's something that I need to learn how to do anyways.

6. Paint two rooms in our house. The baby room will definitely be painted. But I want to finish setting up my office. I have big dreams for this little office. I want to finally pull it all together.

7. Read at least 5 books about spiritual formation/theology and "research" (I couldn't think of a better word as I was writing this post) the Bible. I have to admit that I've always been one of those who believes things because that's what I've always been told is true. Now, I want to find the evidence for myself. I want to know why I believe what I believe, and where to find scripture to prove it's true.

8. Lastly, I want to be intentional with my time, relationships, money, everything. I think "intentional" is going to be my word for 2014. I've realized that I've slacked off in that area most of my life. I don't want to let any second go to waste.

There we go! I only have 8 goals. But I think that every single one of them will challenge me, and that those things will change me for the better. I can't wait to see what 2014 holds.

What are your goals for this new year?  

xoxo
Les
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

1 comment:

Ashley said...

As someone who has a 13 month old let me tell you about baby stuff. If you can find a used baby bed that is the way to go. As long as it is up to health code then go for it. I found the best bed for 50 bucks. Also buy plain white sheets so you can bleach them because they will be peed, pooped, and puked on. Only register for things you will really use. Invest in a great baby monitor. Get a rock and play for sure (best thing ever). Invest in a comfy rocking chair (you will spend a lot of time in it). I put it in his room because it looked so cute in there but it got boring rocking him for so long without a tv so I ended up moving it into the living room. Gotta do what works. Any time you have a question about what to buy you can ask me because I'll be honest with you. Happy New Year! When do you find out the gender?