Leslyn's Lovely Life: The Story of Us: Mawwiage

Monday, March 24, 2014

The Story of Us: Mawwiage

About a month, I posted a bunch of pictures from our wedding. And I promised that I would write about our experience so far.



As many of you know, we spent our first year of marriage living in the same town as our in-laws- and they were absolutely wonderful. So many friends of mine have serious issues with in-laws and setting healthy boundaries, but I can honestly say that this has never been an issue (on either side of our family). They are some of the most wonderful, Godly people I have ever known, and it still blows my mind that I get to be a part of a family that loves each other (and the Lord) so deeply.

Everyone tells you that the first year of marriage is the hardest. In retrospect, it definitely was. But at the time, we didn't have anything else to compare it to, so we thought it was a piece of cake. Now that we are past that point, we can look back and recognize the stupid things we'd argue about, and although we still have our occasional arguments, we know how to communicate much more effectively and how to work through those things without me giving him the silent treatment for a few hours (totally guilty of that. And it gets you nowhere, by the way).

There were days where I wasn't DJ's biggest fan- and there are probably even more where he wasn't my biggest fan. We didn't have to really like each other that much- but we made the conscious DECISION to love each other through everything. That's been such a huge thing- you CHOOSE to love each other. Always. And you have to learn to forgive- and you might as well get over whatever you're mad about quickly. Life is too short to stay mad (especially about the dumb stuff).

I am by no means a marriage expert- we're only 2 1/2 years in. And we haven't been through a super rough patch. So I have no idea how challenging it is for some people to make it work. But we've learned that if we keep God at the core of our marriage and let Him work in us, things tend to go much more smoothly.

And I have no idea what else I should add- so I'll just leave it at that. :)

xoxo
Les
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

1 comment:

tripping tiffies said...

Your picture is insanely adorable. I seriously wish I could get my boyfriend to do cute photos like that!