Leslyn's Lovely Life: Goal Updates

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Goal Updates

It's been a few minutes since I updated y'all on my goals for this year. These are kind of selfish posts, because they force me to reflect on how I'm really doing with these things, and it helps me refocus. But this is where we are after 5 months of 2014.

1. Implement an organization system in our home
I feel like I'm getting better and better at this as we go along, especially with nesting being in full effect. I want everything to be perfectly organized and put away. I think I've become more of a neat freak than my husband, which I never thought would happen. There's just something about going to bed with a clean, clutter-free home. I love it- it's kind of addicting.

2. Cut back on processed foods
For the most part, this has been a success. A lot of it has to do with the gestational diabetes, and now with my blood pressure going up and a ton of swelling, I'm cutting back on salt too. It's hard to find a ton of processed food that's low in salt and carbs. So we're doing pretty good in this department.
*Side note: I have to brag on the hubby. Ever since my gestational diabetes diagnosis, he has lost 20 lbs. This is only after 2 months. He's a rock star. I'm so proud of him. And I think he's super hot. But that's not the point. All of this is because we cut back on portions and stopped eating as many processed items.

3. Plan out meals every week
I looooove planning our meals. I've taken the savings to another level by planning our meals around produce that's marked down significantly. On average, we save at least $15 per grocery trip at Kroger by shopping based on the ads. And recently, our grocery bill hasn't exceeded $50 a week. #winning

4. Be economical with baby stuff.
I posted about the dresser last week. I bought some barely used cloth diapers and saved a TON of money. We're finding inexpensive artwork on eBay. We saved $200 on our glider, and we saved over 50% on our crib. We're killing it in this department, in my personal opinion.

5. Redesign the blog.
Yeah, this is where things aren't going as well. Obviously, the blog looks the same. I recently posted about needing a hobby for the summer- maybe this will be it! :)

6. Paint 2 rooms.
Emmett's room is painted, and we love it. I think we're either going to paint the office or the bathroom next. We'll see what happens!

7. Read 5 books on Christianity/Spiritual Formation
This is the other one that I am not doing well with. I'm about to start a book called "You Lost Me". It's about the church, and why so many young people are leaving it. I'm really excited about reading this one. I still need suggestions for the other 4, so let me know if you have suggestions!

8. Be intentional with my time
I think I'm doing a pretty good job in this area. When I'm alone, I have a to-do list that I tackle. However, there are days where this mama needs to take it easy and chill. ;) When I'm with DJ, I try to keep the phone in the other room so we can enjoy these last few weeks of quality time.

And there you have it! Overall, the 2 things I really need to work on are the blog redesign and the books. But I mean, 5 1/2 out of 8, and we're not even to the halfway point yet? I'll take it. :)

Have a great day, friends!
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

4 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

Read ANYTHING... & everything ... by Angie Smith :)

Jamie said...

Youre doing great!

Kristal {The Strong Family} said...

I think you're doing great! I'd recommend Jesus Hates Religion by Alex Himaya. It's all about an authentic, intimate relationship with Jesus over the man made rules we've created for ourselves.

Angie said...

Your doing amazing!