Leslyn's Lovely Life: Interrupted

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Interrupted





I love Jen Hatmaker. I have for a while- you've probably heard of her book, 7, where she "rebels against excess". Before she wrote 7, she wrote a book called Interrupted. You guys- she has revised and expanded Interrupted, and now it's being re-released. And it's awesome.

I was given the opportunity to read a copy of the book before its' release, and it has made me think. A lot. I don't know if you remember this post, but I've been struggling- because I feel like there's more to my life than what it is right now. Even after having the most precious baby 15 days ago- I still feel like there's more. That's where this book kind of became a struggle for me.

In the book, Jen recounts the journey where her life was completely changed by a simple prayer: "Raise up in me a holy passion." She had no idea what she was getting herself into when she prayed that, but it turned her life upside down in the most unbelievable way. She and her husband went out on blind faith and started a church that wasn't like most churches that we see. I don't want to ruin the whole story, because it is most certainly worth the read.

In the book, Jen brought up a few things that really, really messed me up. At one point, she mentioned that she couldn't remember the last time she led someone to Christ (or something along those lines). I realized that I am the same way. I have become so consumed by serving the churched, that I have completely neglected the unchurched along the way. Shame on me. Then she had to add this Gandhi quote that hurt big time: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Ouch. That's me.

When you look at scripture, Jesus was not the popular guy, and he was not the guy who was friends with the "churched" (read: Pharisees). He did things that didn't make sense to them- he hung out with the prostitutes, lepers- "the least of these". Maybe it's time that I (and the church) step out of my comfort zone- and do what Jesus did. Instead of silently judging someone because they're not a carbon copy of my life (because I obviously have it all together... Haha), maybe I should start seeing them through Christ's eyes- a loved and valuable person who has a soul.


This is something that's bothered me for a long time. I've talked to my mom about it- I don't want to be a Pharisee. I want to be more like Jesus. I want to extend grace to others, even if they don't deserve it (a huge lesson I've learned recently). And let's be real- I mess up all the time, and I receive more grace than I deserve.

I want to change. Desperately. I want to make a difference. I have no clue how everything will play out, but when I die, I want people to be able to say that I lived my life trying to be more like my Savior.

Are you curious about this book yet?! Because guess what... Jen and the wonderful people at Tyndale sent me a copy of the (unreleased) book that I can give away. And... if you order the book through NavPress by July 31, you will get 20% off of your purchase! What?! That's amazing!

You have until Wednesday night evening to enter the giveaway, and I'll announce the winner Thursday morning.

About the Author:


Jen Hatmaker is the author of 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess and A Modern Girl's Bible Study series. With a heart for her generation, she speaks at conferences around the country. Jen resides in Austin, Texas, with her husband, Brandon, and their five children. To learn more about Jen and follow her blog, go to www.jenhatmaker.com.


a Rafflecopter giveaway
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

1 comment:

Kristy Mays said...

It's like you're in my brain! I can't wait to read this! I'm currently doing her devotional Out of the Spin Cycle. As a new mom, if 15 months can still be considered new, I've loved this! I recommend it if you haven't looked at it yet. Thanks for sharing!