Leslyn's Lovely Life: The Birth Story

Monday, August 4, 2014

The Birth Story

Well, I've had a bunch of people ask me about July 12th. And I'm finally going to share the details! Yay! Oh, and there are some fun pictures from the O.R. at the bottom (no blood or guts showing, duh).

7:45 a.m. - Arrive at the hospital

8:30 a.m. - The nurse tries to start an IV several times, and it's not working at all. My arm hurts and I'm fussy about it. New nurse comes in, tries it, and it works the first time. Thanks to the first nurse, I have bruises for weeks.

9:00 a.m. - The doctor comes in and checks me. For the 9th week in a row, I'm still at a 1, 0% effaced. She breaks my water, and there's meconium in it. She says "we're definitely going to have this baby today." She also tells me that whenever I am ready for the epidural, they will give me one. Side note: most doctors wait until you're at a 4 to start the epidural. I decide to hold off, just because I want to know for sure what real labor feels like (so that the next time, I can be certain that things are happening). They start the Pitocin.

9:45 a.m. - The Pitocin starts working. OUCH. Thankfully, I have my family with me to help distract me from the pain.

12:00 p.m. - I'm crying. I ask for the epidural, and I'm in the most terrible mood.

12:30 p.m. - I get the epidural. I talk to the anesthesiologist about her nail polish. All is well.

12:45 p.m. - The doctor checks me again.  I am at a 2, 30% effaced.

1:00 - 3:00 p.m. - I am resting, and considering marrying the anesthesiologist because she changed my life.

Aaaaand this is where things get interesting.

3:00 p.m. - My mom, DJ, and his sister are in the room and we're talking. They notice that his heart rate is dropping during a contraction. Three nurses come running into the room, and start adjusting the monitors, are shaking my belly, and flipping me back and forth. Eventually, his heart rate goes up.

3:03 p.m. - I start shaking violently because I'm scared to death. I'm holding back tears.

3:05 p.m. - E's heart rate drops again. They flip me back and forth again, and try move Emmett around. They lower the Pitocin. Dr. comes in, checks me. I'm at a 3, 60% effaced. She says his head is swelling a little bit. That's not good. She also notes that he hasn't dropped at all. Again, this is not good.

3:10 p.m. - The doctor makes the call to do an internal monitor, and to do this thing where they put warm saline solution into my uterus (so it's like he has amniotic fluid again. Except it's artificial). This does two things: It allows the cord to move around, and it helps flush out the meconium. I'm still shaking. Also, at this point, I'm really glad that I have an epidural. Because of all of the stuff that they have to do to make the aforementioned things happen.

3:30 p.m. - His heart rate drops from 140 to 60. Nurses come rushing in. They stop the Pitocin completely.

3:35-4:30 p.m. - His heart rate is still dropping just a little bit during contractions, but it's nothing like it has been. I'm still shaking.

4:30 p.m. - His heart rate drops to 70. Nurses come in, use some giant peanut-shaped ball to try to change my position some and make everything better.

4:50 p.m. - I'm FaceTiming my Dad in London. Nurses run in again. I'm getting tired of this. I almost look like I'm having a seizure- that's how badly I'm shaking, and how much this whole thing is stressing me out.

5:15 p.m. - Dr. comes in and checks me again. I'm still at a 3, 60% effaced. She says we need to do the c-section. We agree. Then I throw up because I'm so nervous.

**NOTE: Had we done what most doctors recommend, I would have had painful contractions for almost 8 hours. And then we would have been rushed to do the epidural so I could get a c-section... I'm telling you. I love my doctor. She's a smart cookie.

5:30 p.m. - I'm wheeled into the O.R. My mom and DJ are in there with me. Thank goodness.

5:42 p.m. - I'm a mom. I'm crying ugly tears. As the doctor is stitching me up, she explains that his cord was between the top of his head and my cervix. So basically, any time I had a contraction, his head was pushing against the cord, which cut off his blood and oxygen supply. No wonder his heart rate was doing crazy things and his head was swelling.

5:50 p.m. - E is cleaned off and hasn't aspirated any meconium (thank you Jesus). They let me hold him.

5:51 p.m. - I start throwing up again because I still am a nervous wreck (and apparently they give you some kind of meds that make you feel sick to your stomach). Thankfully, the nurse grabbed Emmett just in time. She hands him to DJ, who starts getting all teary-eyed. Presh.

The rest of the evening consisted of about 2 hours of me, DJ, and Emmett spending quality time together, Emmett meeting most of his family, moving to a different room, and eating my grandparents' leftover P.F. Chang's fried rice at midnight. Because y'all, this girl was starving.





Let's just take a moment and talk about how this little boy is looking at his daddy. Have you ever seen such a sweet thing?!?! I'm crying all over again now. Dang it.


 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

10 comments:

Paige @ An Uncomplicated Life Blog said...

Awwww! I too barfed twice after my c section. I was not having whatever they were pumping through my IV! There's just no glamorous way to give birth, I tell ya. Congrats on baby E!

Yalanda Ludtke said...

I like the way you told this story. Very to the point! Congrats!

Kristy Mays said...

Good job Momma!!! He is so beautiful. No one can ever prepare you for what your personal birth story will entail. Great is our reward :)

Ashleigh W. said...

Way to go!! He is beautiful and I love how you told the good and the bad of the birth story! :)

Cat @ MaryMarthaMama.com said...

So glad things turned out well! And I threw up quite a bit during my first c section, I think it's a common side effect of some of the meds.

Cat @ MaryMarthaMama.com said...

So glad things turned out well! And I threw up quite a bit during my first c section, I think it's a common side effect of some of the meds.

Chrissy@SimpleJoysBlog said...

Congrats!!! He is adorable!

Rebecca Jo said...

OH my Lord, he is adorable! That picture of you kissing him & him looking at his dad. He's just precious.

Glad the docs were on top of it for you & taking care of it quickly with a C-section. & in the end, you have a healthy beautiful son!

Leslie Lukens Martin said...

He is absolutely perfect! So glad you have a brilliant doctor! Thanks for sharing your birth story!

PolkaDottyPlace said...

Yay for great doctors!! Glad you were in good hands. Sounds like things went really well and it's nice you had so much family there to meet your little guy right away!