Leslyn's Lovely Life: Finding the Balance

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Finding the Balance



I know I have written about this before, and that I keep bringing it up. But hey- it's my blog, and I can do what I want. :)

Life has changed. Big time. I can't remember the last time I sat down to enjoy a book, a movie, or anything else. It seems that every waking moment is filled with things that I have to get done. I've gotten to the point where I can't stop and enjoy the simple things. Like watching Netflix for one uninterrupted hour. JK.

In an attempt to change the rut that I've been stuck in, I've been thinking about several things.

1. What things in my life are stressing me out?
2. Can I eliminate those things?
3. If I can't eliminate those things, what can I do to make it better?

Since I have the tendency to overshare, I won't break that trend and just lay it all out there.

1. The things that are stressing me out are my job, trying to drive traffic to my blog, networking, cleaning my house, and the fact that I haven't finished writing thank you notes (and I need to go to the post office. Oh, how I hate going to the post office).
2. I can't eliminate my job or thank you notes (or the post office, unfortunately). I don't want to eliminate the blog, so I'm going to have to figure something out with that. I can do without the additional networking for now.
3. I need to be VERY intentional with every single second that I'm given. That means writing the dang notes and taking them to the blasted post office so I never have to look at my stack of cards again. That means using every spare second that I have at the school to try to work on lesson plans, curriculum maps, emails, grades, and copies (more than likely, all of these things will happen while I pump. Except for the copies. Ew).

As far as the blog goes, I think I've gotten a little too wrapped up in it all. It's exciting when your numbers start to go up- but it takes a ton of work, man. I found myself taking about 3 hours out of my day trying to network to grow in followers/readers. And while it's been fun building those new relationships, it kinda stresses me out. So instead of commenting on literally hundreds of blogs every week in an attempt to get them to read my stuff, I'm taking a different approach. I am going to attempt to produce high-quality posts from here on out that people will want to read (what a novel idea). If I am writing things that people care about, the readers will come.

Here's to simplifying, simplifying, and then simplifying just a little more. And watching Netflix again. I'm just kidding, I promise.
 photo c9b146dd-a2c3-4299-8e0b-a95042d86036_zps6bhzzwmj.png

24 comments:

Kristy @ Rejoice and Repeat said...

I love this and have thought similar things as of late. As I was rocking G to sleep I was filled with such sadness at how quickly she's grown. 17 months ago she came into this world and yet it's like I've blinked and time has blown by. I'm grateful for a healthy growing babe but I want her to slow down. Not knowing if God will bless us again makes me want to savor it that much more. I too am trying to balance. You're making smart choices and you, as well as your family will benefit.

Yalanda Ludtke said...

I didn't find your blog until literally the day before you had the baby. I followed along through your maternity leave and I don't plan to go anytime soon. I'm drawn to your real life approach and loved binge reading to 'get to know the blog' better when I stumbled upon it. So, it may not be much but you've got one new reader hooked girl, keep it up!

Stephanie Cox said...

Oh girl, I think every single person who has a blog as been in your shoes. You have a great space here and I connect with what you bring to the table. Having said that, stick to you and what you find enjoyment in and let the other crap take a back seat.

Accidental Mama said...

Lady, I am right there with you. I think it's more important to comment on blogs that fit your brand because your viewership will be complimentary. But commenting on blogs that you don't care about or don't fit your voice, will just harm you in the end. Do you, that's where you will find success.
xoxo
The Accidental Mama
http://theaccidentalmama.com

Fiona Naughton said...

I know exactly how you feel. I find myself getting so wrapped up in my blog and not being able to sleep because I'm thinking about it so much, it's unreal. I hope you're able to work things out and de-stress your life. If it's any consolation I think your blog is great.

Lindsay Living Vegan said...

OH I so needed to read this right now! I have been stressing out and taking things granted. Thank you for such a perfect post :)

Jenna Brussee said...

I love how you approached this! My boyfriend always helps me to analyze the things that stress me out in a logical way like this. What specifically is stressing me out, and what can I do to change that? It feels so good to simplify!

Amby Felix said...

I have also been working toward creating more high quality posts. I have a lot of previous arrangements to tend to like sponsored posts etc. It is a juggling act and I do admit that most of my free time is dedicated toward my blog, creating content, recipes networking etc. but I also really love it. Don't wear yourself too thin, and try to take a day off a week where you completely disconnect from everything. I know it sounds so hard, but I've been trying to do that for the past month and it has been a huge help.

Andi said...

I totally hear (and support) ya on that one. Life is a constant shuffling to stuff. The whole blogging traffic thing is VERY stressful and I am not sure there is any solution, just try to do the best you can and one day at a time. I have been doing it for 6 years and it doesn't get easier and is still a total worry for me.

Angela Price said...

I am right there with you. Balance is something I strive for every day, and rarely achieve. I have a pile of thank you notes to do as well. Do 5 of them each day!

Lix Hewett said...

I relate a lot to this post. I juggle so many things and that's as someone who doesn't really have a social or romantic life! It's all work and online work, and I'm lucky that I can talk to my friends throughout the day online and talk to my mom like that, too. But I've been neglecting skyping her because I'm so busy. It's hard for me to cut back on things because everything I do is a little bit of income, and I'm barely making enough money to cover rent right now. But I waste so much time procrastinating and being scared and overwhelmed.

Chelsea Olivia said...

I've been feeling the exact same lately! I run my own design business full time as well as blog and I often try to take on other little things on top of it all, and I just find myself SO overwhelmed. Sometimes we just need to step back and reassess!

Brendy Beauty said...

I think all of us have been in this space at one time or another so definitely do not feel alone in this! Simplify and Netflix are a good combo though for taking a breather. ;)

lauriel said...

<3 Good luck taking the stress and mindfully setting it aside, and for finding the most effective (and self-meaningful) ways to reach your goals.

It's a hard balance to always nurture and grow your brand, but I think you're making a good mental decision. Good luck with simplifying, focusing, and finding the time to relax and focus on yourself!


xo,
lauriel
EyeForElegance.com

Erica Marie said...

I think taking the time to create high quality posts will help gain followers that actually want to read your blog, vs. followers that are just visiting because it's part of a group. OR at least that's what I'm telling myself. :)

Jessica Doll @ Team Wiking said...

Finding the balance is always stressful, and even though I've been doing it for years, I'm still not at that perfect spot. It's sort of like always being on a tightrope. I think you have a good approach and it's good that you're able to break it down and be aware of what you should/need to do to help work it all out.

Kendall Rayburn said...

You've got it right - your blog is great - the readers will come! I've always found that the balance is just unattainable its so hard sometimes! I've been blogging for years and still haven't quite found it - I think the hardest part is it's not something that you can just turn off at the end of the day.because the internet never sleeps. I love your attitude about everything and I really need to think more like you!

Ecuador InMyEyes said...

There are moments when I feel that there's just not enough time to do everything that I need to do.
I usually try to keep blogging, and blog promoting in minimum in those instances. Because I don't want to burn out, or start feeling like the blog is an obligation and burden. Instead of the let out and delight it has been for me.

Maryann said...

Same boat here. I have ups and downs with my blog. I love it and I love the potential but man its draining sometimes.

mbasahm said...

Ugh, all of this is so true!! Having a blog is a full-time job, as is having a child. So you basically have 3 full-time jobs that you're juggling! I don't know how you do it. You're an inspiration. And I love reading your blog, so you're doing something right there. :)

Kristyn said...

i often feel the exact same way :/

Ashley Nicholas said...

Sometimes life gets overwhelming! Just take one thing at a time, and if you have to take a baby step away from blogging it will be here for you when you're ready again!

Jennifer Pilgrim said...

I have a lot of the same stresses that you do, especially the blog ones! I agree with you on creating high quality blog posts to bring in reader instead of jumping through hoops. This is hard to do though!

Lindsey Martin said...

I am so glad I got to read this post because as a new Mom I have definitely been feeling the same way these days! Thank you so much for laying it out there and being so honest. I always try to keep it all together but man lately it just doesn't feel like I can! I talked about this in my Mama Mondays post too:)and being new to this blogging world I am struggling to find time to get my traffic up and networking as well. I am really enjoying your blog and think you are doing an absolutely wonderful job:)I put this link in my post but you should definitely check it out, made me feel so much better! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karyn-thurston/10-true-things-about-the-first-year-of-parenthood_b_4254464.html